The McCreery house was built sometime between 1888 and 1901, it appeared on the Larimer County assessor records in 1901. The Larimer County Clerk and Recorder office in Fort Collins, has the original Warranty Deed of purchasing the land dated May 14, 1888.
In 1905 the new United Presbyterian Church was completed at Fourth and Jefferson. This was needed to accommodate the growth of the congregation. The architect was Montezuma Fuller, and the work was completed at a cost of $18,000.
In 1918 Mr. and Mrs. Charles Quick and family moved into the house and boarded William McCreery for their rent. The house was filled with Mr. McCreery's second wife's furnishings and her own hand painted china. It was considered a show place of Loveland.
The last information we have on McCreery is from June 17, 1926 from the Loveland Reporter Herald. The Reverend McCreery died in a train fire in 1926. The car he was sleeping in caught on fire. The passengers were aroused by flames, which spread so quickly they could not reach the doors and jumped out of the windows. According to Mrs. Tuggy, his daughter in law, the Rev. McCreery went back into the burning train to put on clothes where he died of smoke inhalation. Mr. McCreery must have had a great influence on the Loveland community for no other headlines of this size was found through the earlier newspaper.